How to Raise a Formal Grievance

How to Raise a Formal Grievance

If discussing the problem doesn't work, here's what to do.

By Marcia Smith

How can I raise a formal grievance against my employer?

First of all, you should try to solve your grievance informally by talking to your manager. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, you must write a formal letter of grievance to your employer. A meeting will then be arranged for you to discuss your grievance. Your employer will inform you of the outcome in writing.

If the outcome is unsatisfactory, you should write a letter of appeal stating why you can’t accept the decision. Your employer will then arrange another meeting with you to further discuss the matter.

Any unresolved grievances after this stage should be submitted to an employment tribunal through the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service.


  Subscribe for Free Content

Click here to get killer business content sent straight to your inbox

Subscribe to The Knowledge Hub

Join over 60,000 business owners. Get the latest advice, tips and expert opinion delivered to your inbox every month.